Okay, so you have an iPhone and an Apple Watch, but you have to wear your face mask while you’re at home, so how are you supposed to unlock your phone? Luckily, there’s a way! With the latest update to iOS 14.5 and WatchOS 3.2, Apple has made it possible to use your Apple Watch to unlock your iPhone while wearing your face mask! Here’s how it works.
Benefits of using an Apple Watch
- The benefits of using an Apple Watch to unlock your iPhone while wearing a face mask are convenience and security.
- You can use your Apple Watch to unlock your iPhone while wearing a face mask without having to remove the mask or enter your passcode.
- Simply bring your Apple Watch close to your iPhone and it will unlock automatically.
- This feature is especially convenient when you’re wearing a face mask and don’t want to remove it or enter your passcode every time you want to unlock your iPhone.
- Plus, it’s more secure than using a passcode because only someone with your Apple Watch will be able to unlock your device. 6. It also ensures that you won’t forget your passcode since you won’t need one anymore.
- To set up Touch ID on your Apple Watch, go to Settings > General > Passcode & Fingerprint > Touch ID on Apple Watch and turn it on by following the prompts.
- After confirming who should have access to unlocking your phone via Touch ID on your watch, follow the steps above if you would like to pair this new device with your iPhone or enter all of these credentials manually
into this new device: username (Apple ID), password (passcode), and 2-factor authentication code (the six-digit code sent via text message).
Requirements to enable this feature
First, you need to have an iPhone that’s running iOS 14.5 or later, and your Watch needs to be on watchOS 7.4 or later. You also need to have Face ID set up on your iPhone, and wear your Watch face coverings that are recognized by the iPhone. Finally, make sure that Wrist Detection is turned on for your Watch in the Settings app on your iPhone.
To test it out, just tap Lock Screen Mode on your Watch, and select Wrist detection. The next time you want to unlock your phone with Face ID while wearing a mask, swipe up from the bottom of the screen like normal, but instead of entering your passcode or fingerprint authentication code when prompted, just put your wrist over the iPhone. When it detects your watch and unlocks, you’ll see the Home screen! If this doesn’t work for you, there may be something wrong with your settings, so try resetting them. If all else fails, you can always go back to using Touch ID to unlock your device instead.
A friend said they tried this after reading my blog post and had no luck unlocking their phone using the Face ID and Wrist Detection method I described above. I checked their settings and noticed they only had Wrist detection turned on – they hadn’t activated FaceID. It was off by default before iOS14.5 but now it’s required!
Steps on how to enable this feature
If you’ve updated to iOS 14.5 and are wearing an Apple Watch, you can now use your watch to unlock your iPhone while wearing a face mask. Here’s how:
- Make sure that your iPhone is running iOS 14.5 and that your Apple Watch is on your wrist and unlocked.
- Put on your face mask and go to Settings > Face ID & Passcode on your iPhone.
- Scroll down and toggle on the option for Unlock with Apple Watch.
- Now, when you put on your face mask, you should see the unlock with Apple Watch notification appear on your lock screen when you try to unlock your iPhone with Face ID. Swipe up on the notification to open it and enter your passcode if necessary. You’ll be able to unlock your phone without taking off or removing your face mask! Once you’re done using Face ID to unlock your phone, tap the Lock Screen button in the upper-left corner of your device. It will return you to the same place where you were before unlocking your phone. Then just remove your face mask.
You can also disable this feature by going back into Settings > Face ID & Passcode and turning off Unlock with Apple Watch.
Tips on using this feature
If you’re running iOS 14.5 or later, you can now use your Apple Watch to unlock your iPhone while wearing a face mask. Here’s how
– Make sure your Apple Watch is paired with your iPhone
– Check the Unlock with watch option on the Face ID & Passcode settings page on the Settings app
– Place an AirPods case near your face and wake up the device (do not press any buttons)
– Wait for it to recognize that you are trying to unlock and release (If it does not work after three tries, disable the feature from settings)
– Pressing the side button once should turn off this feature. It may take some time before you will be able to use this function again if it has been disabled due to failed attempts. Keep trying until it works! The process can take up to 10 seconds so don’t stop too soon. When it works, you’ll see the message Unlocked appear on the
screen along with watch. You’ll also see a notification on your Apple Watch screen which looks like this: Apple Watch unlocked iPhone. That means it worked!