We often avoid going to the dentist until the last minute. By then, you are in extreme pain and require immediate treatment and probably complicated procedures. All this can be avoided if you have routine checkups with a dentist. This can aid in the early detection of anything unusual and save you from a lot of pain and serious consequences.
First, let us read about some of the reasons why you should have regular oral health checkups. Then, you can book an online doctor consultation with a dentist in Pune.
Five Reasons you need Regular Dental Check-ups with a Dentist in Pune
Everyone should have routine consultations with the dentist to detect any oral problems in the early stages. Some of the reasons to have regular dental checkups are:
Plaque, Tartar, and Cavities
- A sticky layer forms on the teeth because of the bacteria, called plaque.
- In plaque, bacteria produce acids after consuming sugary or starchy foods. This leads to damage to the tooth enamel, which leads to gingivitis and cavities.
- Further, untreated plaque can harden into tartar which is tough to remove. It can lead to cavities. Cavities are holes in the teeth.
- Cavities will creep up on you, and you won’t feel pain until there is a small hole in your tooth. After that, they usually grow very large and cause tooth fractures and affect nerves. An early diagnosis of this condition can lead to less harsh treatment. If you are prone to plaque or cavities consult a dentist in Pune.
- Bad breath, bleeding gums, swollen gums, toothaches, loose teeth, and tooth sensitivity are the symptoms of gum disease.
- These can be caused due to bacteria in your mouth that produce toxins and irritate your gum tissue.
- A gum infection worsens over time and can lead to gingivitis. It’s an early-stage gum disease which includes swollen and bleeding gums.
- Some people may experience no symptoms, which can be reversible if treated on time.
- However, Periodontitis, an advanced form of gum disease, will develop if it is not immediately treated. This is recognized by the inner layer of the gums pushing away from the teeth and developing pockets.
- Further, it leads to the loss of bone supporting the teeth. This, in turn, will lead to loosening or falling off the tooth, which will require extensive treatment and require visiting a specialist.
Gum diseases can be caught at an early stage with routine visits to a dentist. They can treat these with medication and dental cleaning. Then, you can book an online doctor consultation with a dentist in Pune.
Oral Cancer Screening
- Screening involves looking for cancer before a person experiences any symptoms. This puts us at an advantage in discovering cancer at an early stage.
- As your chances of survival increase from 50% to 90%, it is easier to treat when cancer or abnormal tissue growth is found at an early stage.
- Subsequently, by the time symptoms may be noticeable, cancer will have already begun spreading, leading to harsher consequences and complex treatments.
- A dentist will check for any abnormal growth or redness in your mouth to check for signs of cancer. They may also ask about any symptoms you may be experiencing.
- You will be directed in the direction of a specialist if mouth cancer is suspected. But first, talk to a dentist in Pune to schedule an appointment for regular oral cancer screening or you can book an online doctor consultation for the same.
Learning About Good Oral Hygiene
- Sometimes you may unknowingly be following the wrong oral practices that could have an alternate effect on your oral health.
- Wrong habits like chewing ice, clenching your jaw, biting your nails, and brushing your teeth aggressively can have serious consequences.
- A dentist will check for any damage due to these habits in a routine checkup.
Further, your dentist in Pune will advise you on good habits like brushing your teeth twice a day, flossing, brushing your tongue, using an antibacterial mouthwash, and avoiding smoking and other tobacco products. They will also help you break your bad habits.
Getting an X-ray to Check for Invisible Problems
- Your dentist will examine your oral health history and decide if you require an X-ray.
- An X-ray will be done to look for gum diseases, tooth decay, and other oral health problems, such as impacted teeth (wisdom teeth), trauma to the jawbone, swelling, cysts and tumours.
- Your dentist will look at your dental history and then decide how often you need X-rays to check for any oral conditions that may not be visible to the naked eye.
You now have a comprehensive idea of why you require regular dental checkups. Early detection of any problem can help you avoid costly surgeries, and majorly you can save money. Moreover, your smile is too precious to be lost in these conditions. Therefore, you can use Bajaj Finserv Health to book online doctor consultation with a dentist in Pune.