Since its inception in 1982, KMC Wheels has come a really long way. It started off a bit shakily, but has managed to carve a niche of its own over the last decades. It is a major player in the aftermarket space not just in the United States but across all the major markets worldwide.
Contrary to what you might have heard, KMC is not just a manufacturer of rims for city driving. It has a reputation in the off-road market too. KMC supports several athletes and motor-racing champs including the likes of Casey Currie, Bryce Menzies, Jeff Proctor and several others. They are champions in endurance racing, UTV off-roading, rallying, and in contests between V8 supercars down in Australia.
KMC has a knockout range of cast and forged rims for all sorts of vehicles, including heavily modded (modified) ones. This is a company that sticks to quality commitments at all times, which is why they are where they are.
Now that 2023 is here, you might just be wondering about a set of all-new aftermarket rims. If you are looking for both style and substance without breaking the bank, you can choose from the following models of KMC Wheels!
Top KMC rims for 2023 and beyond
We consulted with experts from one of California’s most reputable retail outlets – AudioCity USA – for this one. Based on customer demand and average sales volumes, these 5 are the best right now.
- KM708 Bully: The 17-inch Bully is the leader of the pack. It outsells many of KMC’s other models frequently. This is a cast alloy wheel with high-quality 6061-T6 aluminum at its core. Of all the finishes available, the matte bronze is a fan favorite and we would gladly recommend it.
The KM708 has a very distinct spoke pattern that’s arranged in a mesh. It looks immensely muscular but is surprisingly lightweight. The model will fit any vehicle you drive; coupes, compacts, convertibles, hatchbacks, and SUVs.
These KMC Wheels are not meant for off-roading, even though it can handle tricky terrain pretty well. The best part about the KM708 Bully is its price tag, which is very attractive.
- KM728 Lobo: The Lobo is our choice if you want extra brownie points for style. The model has a very basic 5-spoke design and then adds a ton of muscle to each of them. The spokes are beautifully machined and the central face also has the KMC logo with a bit of machining.
The KM728 Lobo is available in both 5 and 6 lug designs and is renowned for its aggressive stance that does not go OTT. You cannot go wrong with these rims since they will suit anything you drive. Literally anything: from an old Corvette to a modest VW Bug and going on to the latest Mercedes SUVs.
If you are opting for KMC Wheels for the first time, we would recommend that you go for the 17-inch model in a stunning matte anthracite finish. The smaller rims also give you enough space for oversizing too.
- KM235 Grenade Crawl: We had touched upon KMC’s off-road prowess, and this is just one example. The KM235 Grenade Crawl is a Beadlock model ideal for extreme racing and will easily conquer any terrain. This is a model that goes smoothly with the ‘Big Boys’ like the Wrangler and the Gladiator, the Cadillac Escalade, and all pickup trucks.
We have seen the polished silver KM235 rims on a relatively new Ford Raptor. We were taken aback, to be honest, by how elegant and yet powerful the entire package looked.
You can choose from 5, 6 or 8 lug options depending on the vehicle you drive. And then there’s the Beadlock advantage, which allows you to off-road even if the tire pressure plummets.
Yes, the KMC Grenade Crawl does have a hefty price tag. But you are paying for quality and a whole host of advantages that very few competing models have. The 17-inch rims are a good starting point!
- KM716 Nomad: This is without doubt one of the most handsome KMC Wheels available right now! It is our top pick for all hatchbacks, small and medium SUVs, and subcompact passenger cars. There are murmurs that the Nomad will receive a few upgrades this year, but that cannot be confirmed.
This is strictly for city and suburban driving. The most popular version is the 17-inch Nomad in a gorgeous satin black finish. The machining is minimal, the spoke design seems to be inspired by BMW OEMs, and the central face design has enough heft to push many other rims to shame!
The satin black KM716 is priced very modestly. It is certainly a very efficient model and a superb starting point for city dwellers new to the world of KMC Wheels.
- KM542 Impact Off-road: This is certainly a very ‘impactful’ set of rims! The KM542 has a multi-spoke design and is available in 2 finishes. There are 3 lug patterns available. While you will have to check with your chosen retailer about the lug pattern since it will depend on your ride, we highly recommend that you take a shot at the 17-inch model in a matte black finish.
This is another off-road specialist from KMC rims. That said, it is also a charm on city roads.
You cannot go wrong with the 17-inch rims on any surface!
The number of fake KMC Wheels keeps rising every month, it seems. Stick with established retailers only.