The highly anticipated Windows Server 2022 is finally here! If you’re looking to deploy this latest iteration of Microsoft’s flagship server operating system, or you’re just generally interested in knowing more about it, then look no further than this cheat sheet from Incapsula. Here are some of the most important facts and stats on Windows Server 2022 that every IT pro needs to know.
What Is Windows Server?
If you’re new to the world of Windows Server, you might be wondering what it is and what it does. Windows Server is a powerful operating system that helps businesses manage their networks and provides a platform for running applications. It’s also the foundation for many of Microsoft’s cloud services, such as Azure. You can use Windows Server in your business or your home office to help with productivity, collaboration, and communications. Here are five things you should know about Windows Server 2022
The latest version, which was released on October 1st 2021, includes an updated interface and has been optimized for hybrid deployments. The major feature updates include support for containers like Docker; security enhancements like Shielded VMs; and a modern storage experience with Storage Spaces Direct (S2D).
What’s New in Microsoft’s Latest Version?
Microsoft’s latest version of Windows Server is packed with new features and improvements. Here are some of the most noteworthy changes you’ll find in Windows Server 2022
The return of a Start Menu for managing your server; PowerShell DSC capabilities for automating configurations; Automated Virtual Machine Manager (VMM) integration to help manage resources more efficiently; Cross-platform command line tools for improved usability,
including support for Linux and Mac OS X; Improved virtualization capabilities to make it easier to deploy Hyper-V VMs from ISO files on bare metal. New Dynamic Memory enhancements that will allocate memory according to current workloads for greater performance. New Storage Spaces Direct capability that offers direct-attached storage through JBODs (Just a Bunch Of Disks). New Security Improvements that provide additional protections against malware and hacking.
What Are Some of the Key Features?
If you’re considering upgrading to Windows Server 2022, here’s what you need to know about Microsoft’s latest server operating system. Windows Server 2022 includes new security features, such asShielded Virtual Machines and Credential Guard, which can help protect your data from malware and other attacks.
The operating system also supports containers, so you can easily deploy and manage applications in a secure environment. And with Nano Server, you can create a smaller footprint server that’s more efficient and easier to manage. Overall, Windows Server 2022 is a solid option for businesses of all sizes.
How Do I Get Started?
- Decide which edition of Windows Server 2022 is right for you.
- Choose your installation type.
- Download the ISO file from the Microsoft Evaluation Center.
- Mount the ISO in Windows 10 or 8.1 and begin the installation process.
- Select your language, time, and currency preferences, and then click Next.
- Click Install Now on the next screen to begin the installation process proper. You will be prompted to enter your Product Key (your product key should have been included with the purchase email).
- You will be asked whether you want to do a clean install or an upgrade installation. If this is a new server, it’s probably best to do a clean install; if this is an upgrade, select Upgrade this PC now and follow the prompts accordingly.
- When asked where you want to save files and settings, choose OneDrive (to sync data between PCs) or another network location for data storage; click Next after making your selection.
- On the confirmation page, review what will happen with your old OS (you can change these settings before clicking Reset) and then press Reset again to complete the process. Remember that this may take some time depending on how large your hard drive is and how much data needs to be moved around. If there are any problems with the system during installation, you’ll need to troubleshoot those as they arise. For example, if you have a RAID controller installed and there are drivers that need to be loaded but don’t show up automatically during installation, consult your manufacturer’s instructions on installing them manually.
How Much Does it Cost?
Windows Server 2022 pricing starts at $999 for 16 cores, with additional cores costing $125 each. The Standard edition is only available in16-core licenses, while Datacenter and Enterprise editions are available in both 16-core and 2-core licenses. Core licenses must be purchased in pairs (2, 4, 8, 16, or 32 core license packs). In other words, if you want to run a server with eight cores, you must purchase two four-core license packs.
Prices for Datacenter and Enterprise editions start at $6,155 and $3,057 per two-core license pack. Licenses for the operating system can be used on up to two physical servers, but can only be used on one virtual machine at a time. Microsoft also offers what they call virtual machines which allow users to run the OS on top of their existing hardware without having to purchase new hardware that supports it natively. These virtual machines are priced as follows: $320/month for a single processor VM and $720/month for an MPP VM with more than one processor.
Is There a Difference Between Windows Server And Just ‘Server’?
In short, yes. While server can refer to any computer that provides services to other computers on a network, Windows Server is a specific operating system designed for just that purpose. It’s made by Microsoft and, as such, is designed to work well with other Microsoft products.
However, it can also work with non-Microsoft products. Windows Server is more expensive than regular Windows, but it comes with additional features and benefits specifically for businesses and organizations.
With Windows Server you’ll get Active Directory Domain Services (AD DS), which allows you to manage your user accounts, computers, devices and security permissions all in one place. You’ll also have the ability to set up Remote Desktop Services so that users can access their desktops from anywhere in the world.
And when you purchase your license through Red Hat OpenStack Marketplace or Canonical Ubuntu Cloud Hosting then you’ll be able to use Red Hat Enterprise Linux or Ubuntu Linux as your base operating system!
Where Can I Read More?
- Microsoft Ignite 2022 offers a first look at Windows Server 2022: The biggest new features in the server OS center on containers, networking, storage, and more.
- Here’s what you need to know about Windows Server 2022 security: New features include Windows Defender, just-in-time administration, and more.
- Check out this video to see how you can get started with containers in Windows Server 2022: You’ll learn about the new container deployment model and how to use Docker in Windows Server 2022.
- Storage Replica is a new feature in Windows Server 2022 that allows you to replicate disks and volumes between servers for disaster recovery purposes.
- Failover Clustering now supports virtual machines and makes it easier to add or remove nodes from clusters.
- Deployment of Azure Virtual Machines has been improved by making it possible to deploy Linux virtual machines on Azure, or even running Windows Server as a guest operating system within an Azure Virtual Machine instance running Linux.
- Security improvements have been made across the board in Windows Server 2022, including Credential Guard which protects domain credentials when domain controllers are offline from malware and credential theft attacks.